|dc.contributor.author||Maldives Energy and Environmental Company||-|
|dc.identifier.citation||Maldives Energy and Environmental Company. (2016). Environmental impact assessment for the proposed dredging of harbor and entrance channel at Gdh. Fiyoari. Male': Maldives||en_US|
|dc.description.abstract||1. This report provides the finding of an environmental impact assessment conducted for a dredging project in G DH.Fiyoari, devised by Ministry of Housing and Infrastructure (MHI) in accordance with the Environmental Act and EIA Regulations 2012. The report was compiled by Maldives Environment and Energy Company (MEECO) to fulfil the requirements of law. The main objective of the project is to ease accessibility to the island.
2. In recent times, the harbour in Fiyoari, has become one of the biggest contributors to the local economy. An ice plant managed and run by Kooddoo Fisheries provides ice and water to fishing vessels that regularly birth at Fiyoari. The harbour is also frequented by safari vessels enroute to the surfing point located at the western coast of Fiyoari. The demand for the harbour has resulted in the harbour becoming congested and shallow areas ‘giri’ that exist within the basin has made navigation and access difficult.
3. The proposed project encompasses dredging shallow areas from the harbour and entrance channel. The dredging is aimed at removing all the shallow areas in an area of 25,699 m2 from the harbour basin and 5,350 m2 from the entrance channel. Surveys concluded that a total of 11,800 m3 of dredge material would be obtained as a result of dredging these areas to – 3 m MSL.
4. Bathymetry surveys showed that two areas were shallower than – 3 m MSL in the proposed project area. They were a 2,642 m2 shallow giri in the harbour basin close to quay wall and a 1,650 m2 strip of shallow area at the southern side of the entrance channel. However, study area bathymetry and stakeholder consultations revealed that the proposed project area did not encompass all the significant shallow areas which were highlighted to cause navigational difficulties. Two main shallow areas were identified in the basin outside the project area which are shallower than – 3 m from MSL. These areas have been marked in the report.
5. Use of dredge material in the ongoing sports arena construction project at Fiyoari was determined to be the best option.
6. Environmental impacts were identified and assessed for both the construction phase (dredging) and operational phase of the project. The negative impacts of the project would be felt exclusively on the marine environment during the dredging phase of the project. No significant negative impacts have been identified due to the small scale of the project. Following careful evaluation of the minor negative impacts, appropriate and practical mitigation measures have been proposed to reduce these negative impacts. Significant positive impacts were identified for the implementation phase of the project. The project would not only address difficulty in navigation but it will also boost the economy of the island. Alternatives to the current scheme have also been provided in the report with their advantages and disadvantages discussed.
7. The Proponent, Ministry of Housing and Infrastructure is committed to undertake the necessary mitigation measures and monitoring during all stages of the project. The project is in line with the national development polices of the government and planned to be executed in compliance with the relevant laws and regulations of the Maldives pertaining to conservation of the environment.
8. In conclusion, this EIA has looked into the key factors that shall be taken into account during construction and operational stage of the project. Even though this project does have significant environmental impacts to the immediate marine environment, with appropriate measures, those negative effects can be mitigated to an acceptable level. It is also worth highlighting significant
positive impacts that the project is expected to bring to the community would translate into improved living conditions and overall social well-being of the community.||en_US|
|dc.subject||Harbor development projects||en_US|
|dc.subject||Administrative and regulatory framework||en_US|
|dc.subject||Existing climatic environment||en_US|
|dc.subject||Existing geological environment||en_US|
|dc.subject||Existing hydrographical environment||en_US|
|dc.subject||Existing physiochemical environment||en_US|
|dc.subject||Existing marine environment||en_US|
|dc.subject||Natural hazard vulnerability||en_US|
|dc.subject||Existing socio-economic environment||en_US|
|dc.subject||Environmental impact assessment||en_US|
|dc.title||Environmental impact assessment for the proposed dredging of harbor and entrance channel at Gdh. Fiyoari||en_US|
|Appears in Collections:||ތިމާވެށި |