Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
Full metadata record
DC FieldValueLanguage
dc.contributor.authorAli, Abdul Hameed-
dc.identifier.citationAli, A. H. (2013). Examinining the association between parental smoking and adolescent smoking. Faculty of Health Sciences, Male', Maldives.en_US
dc.description.abstractSmoking is the leading preventable cause of morbidity and mortality in the World. The vast majority of smokers initiates smoking before the age of 18. Several researches suggest that parental smoking is a significant predictor of adolescent smoking. This study examines the association between parental smoking and adolescent smoking and adolescent attitudes toward smoking. Data was collected from an adolescent population of L. Gan, L. Maamendhoo and L. Maavah by using self-administered anonymous questionnaire. The questionnaire was piloted and a sample of 100 was selected. The result of research showed that 38% of participants had tried smoking and from this 55.3% were known as current smokers. 14 years old was the most frequent age of initiation. And furthermore, it was shown that 37% of adolescent’s farther’s smoked, 1% of mother’s smoke, both parents smoke 15%, and 47% of adolescent’s parents were not smoking. From ever tried category, 73.7% were become a current smokers and 26.3% were quitted smoking. It was found that more than 50% of the adolescent began to smoke as an experience. Among current smokers. 57.1% could not quit smoking because of the addictive feeling; remaining 42.9% were due to habit. Most of the adolescents quitted smoking by knowing the health impact of smoking. Parent was known as second cause. The result of the research concluded that Parental smoking had (p<0.001) association between adolescent smoking. It was found that single parental smoking increases the risk of adolescent smoking by 11 times and both parents by 150 times as it compared to neither parents smoke. And adolescents with both parents smoking have highest proportion of positive attitudes toward smoking. In the meantime participants without smoking parents have less positive attitude and highest negative attitudes toward smoking.en_US
dc.publisherFaculty of Health Sciencesen_US
dc.titleExaminining the association between parental smoking and adolescent smokingen_US
Appears in Collections:އެމް. އެން. ޔޫގެ ދަސްވެނީންގެ ޑިޒަރޓޭޝަންތައް
MNU Dissertations

Files in This Item:
File Description SizeFormat 
Abdul Hameed Ali June 2013.pdf720.97 kBAdobe PDFView/Open

Items in Saruna are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.